Nurses are in high demand across the country, and there are many different career paths for RNs to choose from. Choosing between travel, per diem, local, and staff nursing can be difficult, and each option offers its own unique set of benefits. RNs must prioritize their needs to find the right path, but GIFTED Healthcare wants to make it easier for you!
We are proud to support the heroic work of the nurse, and it’s our mission to provide them with fulfilling, successful, and professional clinical experiences.
Team GIFTED is comprised of nurses and other experienced healthcare professionals who deeply value compassionate caregivers. We work closely with healthcare facilities to understand their clinical needs for optimal and efficient nurse matches, tirelessly striving to help you find the nursing career path that works best for you.
Nursing Career Paths: Pros & Cons
To help you navigate the process, check out this comparison chart between the benefits of travel, per diem, local, and staff nursing.
Pros of Travel Nursing
If you’re looking for great pay, schedule flexibility and diverse work experience, travel nursing offers many benefits.
- Choose your own hours, day-to-day and week-to-week
- Higher hourly pay rate in many cases
- More variety in your work setting
- Travel to different locations
- Lower potential for burnout
- Diverse work experience; more confidence in applying your training in new settings
- Supplement your income by taking on additional shifts
- Never required to work specific holidays
- Vacation time can be taken whenever you want for however long you desire
- Less involvement in navigating workplace politics
- GIFTED nurses are offered a premium benefits package from day one
- Option to receive training from many different facilities
Things to Consider About Travel Nursing
- Contract availability may fluctuate
- Must be able to adapt to new facility protocol and patient needs quickly
- Shifts depend on potentially unpredictable staffing needs; available shifts vary
Pros of Staff Nursing
- Predictable income week to week
- PTO options
- Familiarity with work associates and patients
- Streamlined onboarding and learning process for workplace policy and protocol
- Guaranteed shifts
Things to Consider About Staff Nursing
- Less flexible scheduling; overnights and weekends are often required
- Increased responsibilities from supervisors and facility management
- Potentially lower hourly pay
- Less flexibility with time-off requests; may be limited to shorter lengths of time
- Possible challenges navigating workplace hierarchy
- May be required to work on holidays
Accelerate Your Career with GIFTED Healthcare
It’s our mission to give nurses and healthcare professionals the opportunities and resources they need to thrive.
Begin your adventure today with GIFTED Healthcare!