How to Obtain Your Kentucky Nursing License | Enhanced Nurse Licensure Compact (eNLC) State
License by Endorsement
Active within 24 hours if license is renewed online
About two weeks (maybe more) depending on requirements
Temporary License Processing
It takes approximately 14 days to receive a temporary license after all of the necessary documents are received and the license will last for up to 6 months (must not have any prior convictions or disciplinary action to obtain).
The Kentucky State Board of Nursing does not issue license cards.
Proof/Verification of Original State license
Federal Criminal Background Check (request FP card)
State Criminal Background Check (online requests only)
Official Transcripts – If original license is not a NURSYS state
Complete KY Jurisprudence Exam
Evidence of 2 Contact Hours of HIV/AIDS
Temporary licenses are only issued while other required documents are being processed. There are additional steps that must be completed to receive a permanent license.
- Federal and State background checks are required for reinstatements
- Verification of employment is required for reinstatement of those with employment outside of Kentucky for at least 500 hours within the past 5 years.
- CE requirements vary for reinstatements depending on each year after expiration.
- Nurses must also complete the KY jurisprudence exam if license has lapsed for one or more years.
- View license verification information here.
Check for proper mailing address when sending in applications as it may differ from the physical address provided.
Contact Information & Mailing Address
Kentucky State Board of Nursing
312 Whittington Parkway
Louisville, KY 40222