How to Obtain Your Illinois Nursing License
License by Endorsement
About 4-6 Weeks
$30 per year
Reinstatement (Licenses expired more than 5 years)
$20 + Payment of all renewal and late fees
See Illinois State Board of Nursing website for all fee scheduling and please note these fees are subject to change.
Temporary License Processing
It takes approximately 2-4 weeks to receive a temporary license in Illinois after all documents have been received and the license will last for up to 6 months (must not have any prior convictions or disciplinary action to obtain).
Proof/Verification of Original State License and Current License – Send proof of NURSYS receipt
Copies of All Current Licenses
Proof of Fingerprint
Verification of Licensure in All States where You Practiced within the Last 5 Years
Certificate of Education Signed by Director of Nursing School – Submit through app
**OR official transcripts can be sent with official school seal affixed
Verification of Employment – Submit through app
Supporting Document CCA – Submit through app
Temporary licenses are only issued while other required documents are being processed. There are additional steps that must be completed to receive a permanent license.
- All licenses expire on ay 31st of each even year.
- Nurses must contact the board of nursing for a Restoration Form at 1-800-560-6420
- 20 hours of approved CEs are required per the 2-year license renewal cycle
If license is expired for more than 5 years:
- Verification of original state and current license are required (must send proof of NURSYS receipt in addition).
- Verification of licenses used to practice in any state over the past 5 years.
- Verification of employment is also required.
- Lastly, nurses must provide copies of all current active licenses (only if applying for a temporary license).
- View license verification information here.
Check for proper mailing address when sending in applications as it may differ from the physical address provided.
Contact Information & Mailing Address
Illinois State Board of Nursing
James R Thompson Center
100 West Randolph Street, Suite 9-300
Chicago, IL 60601