Obtain Hawaii Nursing License – Enhanced Nurse Licensure Compact (eNLC) State
Application – Licenses issued between July 1st (Odd Numbered Years) and June 30th (Even Numbered Years)
Application – Licenses issued between July 1st (Even Numbered Years) and June 30th (Odd Numbered Years)
Active Status Timely
Active within 3 business days if license is renewed online
Active Status Late
About 2-3 weeks for paper renewal
Temporary License Processing
It takes approximately 15-20 business days to receive a temporary license in Hawaii after the board has received all necessary documents and forms and the license will last for up to 90 days (must not have any prior convictions or disciplinary action to obtain).
There is an option for nurses to appear in person to receive their temporary licenses on the same day.
Proof/Verification of Original State license
Photo Copy of Current License
Verification of Current Active State License
Employment Verification – From employer in Hawaii
Temporary licenses are only issued while other required documents are being processed. There are additional steps that must be completed to receive a permanent license.
- If license has been expired for over two years, you will be required to reapply as a “new applicant” for a new license.
- In order to reinstate a license, call or email the board to request a restoration or reinstatement application.
- For those with an inactive status for two or more years, you must be prepared to provide proof of your current licensure in another state and employment verification of at least 520 work hours within the past 2 years.
- Evidence of status form may be required if license is lapsed on or before November 1st, 2007.
- All licenses expire on June 30th of each odd-numbered year regardless of the date on which they are issued.
- View license verification information here.
Check for proper mailing address when sending in applications as it may differ from the physical address provided.
Contact Information & Mailing Address
Hawaii State Board of Nursing
335 Merchant Street, Room 301
Honolulu, HI 96813