eNLC – What you need to know

Nurse Licensure Compact Changes

eNLC updates

Effective January 19, 2018 there will be a change in the current Nurse Licensure Compact (NLC).  26 states have enacted the Enhanced NLC (eNLC) and new states have joined, including Georgia, Florida, Wyoming, West Virginia, and Oklahoma. Whoo Hoo! 

So what does that mean for you as a travel nurse?! You can nurse-on in more states with just one license! 

What about my license?

  • If you received an NLC multi-state license before July 20, 2017, from a state that has already joined eNLC, you are grandfathered into the new program and no further action is required from you at this time. You will be able to practice in any of the 26 eNLC states. So sit back, relax and keep on nursing.
  • If you received your NLC multi-state license after July 20, 2017, you will need to apply for a new eNLC multi-state license. The states that are part of the new eNLC will be sending out info on how to stay compact. Be sure to lookout for an email or a letter in your mailbox with details on what you need to do!
  • If you are in a state that was not part of the original NLC but will be part of the new eNLC, you will be required to meet the new eNLC requirements. Each of these new states, Wyoming, Florida, Georgia, West Virginia, and Oklahoma, will send information on what you need to do.
  • The following states have pending legislation that they hope to pass before January 19, 2018 that would make them part of the new eNLC: Massachusetts, New Jersey, and Michigan. Stay up-to-date on this information by checking the eNLC map. 
  • If you do not have an NLC multi-state license but are interested in applying for the new eNLC, follow the steps for your state of residency.
  • Rhode Island, Colorado, New Mexico, and Wisconsin were in the NLC but are not in the eNLC, so if you have your compact state license in one of these states, you will only be able to use your license in these four states, for now. These four states are like a mini-compact group license! If you want to practice in any of the eNLC states, you will need to obtain in-state licensure in that state.

To avoid a lapse in Nursing License:

  • Anyone working on a compact license from CO, RI, WI or NM will ONLY be able to work in those four states (the mini-compact group) and to work in any other state, will need to apply for a new state license. Note – Rhode Island and Wisconsin are in the process of adding the additional requirements in an effort to re-join the eNLC, which could impact or dissolve the mini-compact group.
  • Nurses who do not hold a multi-state license, but reside in one of the 26 eNLC states will need to apply for eNLC licensure to obtain it.
  • A nurse who changes their primary state of residence after the eNLC’s effective date must meet their new resident state’s eNLC requirements to obtain a multi-state license.

Click here to check out a full list of eNLC FAQs. You will also find links to your state board of nursing website where you’ll see the latest information on what you need to know as your state implements the eNLC.

By Mary Petikas

Comments are closed.

This site makes use of cookies which may contain tracking information about visitors. By continuing to browse this site you agree to our use of cookies.