Travel nurses work long and busy shifts, occasionally giving them little time to prepare food at home. But GIFTED believes that travel RNs deserve relaxing, delicious meals whenever they want them!
That’s why we’ve compiled a list of four quick, easy, and delicious recipes for travel nurses on the go!
Read on for a list of four recipes that are sure to satisfy you at the end of a long shift without adding stress to your day.
Chicken Rice Casserole
This recipe from the AJC is great because it’s a simple “mix-n-go” recipe that won’t require too much post-meal cleanup. See below to learn how to make a quick and delicious Chicken Rice Casserole.
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for baking dish
- 2 cups white rice
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (10.5 ounces each) cans cream of mushroom soup
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a 9- by 13-inch baking dish with oil. Add rice, onion, broth, and soup and stir until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken thighs in rice mixture and brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with thyme and garlic, and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 1 hour. Uncover and bake 30 minutes more, until rice is cooked and chicken is golden. Garnish with parsley before serving.
Grilled Veggie and Hummus Wraps
Sometimes, we all need some fresh vegetables. This recipe will satisfy all palettes, whether you’re a meat eaters or vegetarian. Check out Recipe.com’s quick and easy directions for making Grilled Veggie and Hummus Wraps:
- 4 (1/2-inch-thick) slices red onion
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and quartered
- 1 (12-ounce) eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (8-ounce) container plain hummus
- 4 (1.9-ounce) whole-grain flatbreads (such as Flatout Light)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Avocado-Butter Lettuce Salad
- Heat a large grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush onion, bell pepper, and eggplant with 1 tablespoon oil. Add onion and bell pepper to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until grill marks appear. Remove from pan. Add eggplant to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until grill marks appear. Remove from pan; coarsely chop vegetables. Combine vegetables, remaining 1 tablespoon oil, parsley, and salt; toss to combine.
- Spread 1/4 cup hummus over each flatbread, leaving a 1/2-inch border around edges. Divide vegetables over each flatbread; top each serving with 2 tablespoons cheese. Roll up wraps, and cut diagonally in half.
Creamy Sausage Potato Soup
For a hearty meal at the end of your shift that doesn’t require all evening to make, try this recipe for Creamy Sausage Potato Soup by Whole Life Nurse!
- 1 ½ cups of chicken stock
- 1 ½ cup of canned coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ cup of diced red potatoes (I leave the peels on but most people prefer them peeled so your call)!
- 1 package of Trader Joes Pre-Cooked Organic Italian Chicken Sausage
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- Pour broth in. Slice the sausage links and drop in. Add all other ingredients except salt and pepper. Let sit on low for 4-6 hours until potatoes are soft.
- Once done cooking, add salt and pepper. You can take a fork and mash some of the potatoes up to make for a thicker soup! Turn crockpot off and let cool. Top with fresh Kale or Spinach.
Hearty Portobello Linguine
This next recipe is sure to make Mediterranean-lovers swoon. This recipe for Hearty Portobello Linguine by Taste of Home will turn any evening into a special occasion!
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated linguine
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 large portobello mushroom caps (about 3/4 pound), halved and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/3 cup pitted Greek olives, halved
- 1 teaspoon Greek seasoning
- 3/4 cup crumbled tomato and basil feta cheese
- Cook linguine according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes, olives and Greek seasoning; cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Drain linguine; add to pan and toss to coat. Serve with cheese.
Let GIFTED Help You Thrive in Your Nursing Career
It’s our mission to support nurses and healthcare professionals by giving them the opportunities and resources they need to thrive.
Begin your adventure today with GIFTED Healthcare!